A long established family business, Le Lievres traces its history back to 1904 when Thomas Francis Le Lievre left the employment of Noel and Porter department store as a 'floor walker' and leased premises at 31 Don Street selling china, glass and general household items. Little did he know that 108 years later his heirs would still be trading in the business he started from such humble beginnings.
A Guernsey branch was opened in 1919 by one of Thomas' sons Harold Le Lievre on his return from the First World War, operating from No. 1 High Street, St Peter Port where it flourished and expanded until it's eventual closure in 2012 after some 93 years of serving the Guernsey community.
Le Lievres survived the 1929 stock market crash and years of depression in the 30's and when the economic climate gradually improved Le Lievres diversified into catering ware, servicing the tourist establishments in both Islands.
Le Lievres continuted to trade during the German occupation with Cyril Godfray Le Lievre and his wife Clarence deciding to live above the Don Street shop with their youngest children. The occupation was as you can imagine a very difficult and uncertain time. Although stock soon depleted the business survived until the Islands were liberated in May 1945.
After the war life eventually returned to normality and Le Lievres expanded into its neighbouring properties of 27 and 29 Don Street and the shop tripled in size. Since that date Le Lievres has continued to flourish as did the Island's economy and in 2004 Le Lievres celebrated its 100th birthday.
The business is now run by Richard and Philip Le Lievre, the fourth generation of Le Lievres and they, like their forefathers are looking to the future and will endeavour to keep up the Le Lievres tradition of having plenty of the right stock, at the right time and service with a smile, going for a very long time to come.